This controls the music I listen to day to day. It defines the following rules:
- Give me music from my general music collection.
- Add items from a separate Smart Playlist that contains un-played podcasts that I consider to be music e.g. ABC Radio National's In the Night Air, KEXP's Music That Matters, Mixtape Show Hip-Hop, The 20min Mixtape Show, IndieFeed: Hip Hop and Alpa Pup's sadly defunct Alternative Hip-Hop Lounge.
- Don't include items I have rated 1 or 2 stars.
- I delete items rated 1 star. I never want to listen to them again!
- Generally I want to keep items rated 2 stars, but don't want to listen to them again on my device. Usually they are part of some collection I want to keep as a whole.
- Don't include items that I have listened to two or more times.
- Don't include items that I have listened to in the last eight weeks.
- Don't include items that I have skipped over previously (usually means I didn't want to listen to them and was not prepared to actually take the device out of my pocket and rate the item).
- And lastly, out of the 30GB or so that match these conditions, choose a random 5GB to put on my device.
Some useful links for Smart Playlists: